I am thankful that we live in a part of the country that at least for the most part is fiercely patriotic.
IMO
It doesn't matter whether it's war time or peace time. Those who serve in our military at home or across the oceans, they are to be repected, and when they muster out, they are veterans. Those who actually have to be in combat, should be reveered as heroes. I don't care if they are a nurse on one of the naval hospital ships. Or if they are the marines that first come into the situation. they all deserve our respect and gratitude. It is not their fault that we have stupid politicians. They are only following orders, and doing the best they can in a very bad situation.
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
I am thankful that we live in a part of the country that at least for the most part is fiercely patriotic.
_________________________________________________________
HOW'S THAT HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YA ??????
Did you read the thing or not? Congress approved it - we had 500,000 troops in South East Asia in the early 70s, of which only 50,000 were riflemen. If you can't understand that then , I guess it is no wonder the morals and values of the country are dropping with each generation. As far as Mike Moore, if he is funneling money to the terrorists- hang him, but Bush and Bin Lauden were in the same oil company, Bin Lauden's older brother was killed in an ultra light plane crash not far from Bushies' home in Texas . What we gonna do about that? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Congress approved the war in Iraq, but did not declare war.
How hard is taht for you guys to understand??
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]
If ignorance is bliss, this place is perpetually orgasmic [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
What would be the difference? They have spent billions and 1500 or so lives so far...
Unchained, Daddy always said, "Son, if Ignorance was bliss- you'd be a blister." I might have some more siblings. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
This story hearkens to a real visit to North Vietnam by Jane Fonda in July of 1972, but the stories about betraying POWs is not true.
The Fonda trip became unforgettable because it infuriated Americans, especially Americans in uniform, many of whom still regard her as a traitor.
She praised the North Vietnamese, posed for a photo at a Communist anti-aircraft gun emplacement, made several radio broadcasts for the Communist North Vietnamese in which she called American military leaders "war criminals," then when some of the POWs returned home and described mistreatment by the North Vietnamese, she said Americans should "...not hail the POWs as heroes, because they are hypocrites and liars."
There is no dispute that her visit took place and that her words and actions were in support of the enemy.
This particular email includes three stories, two of which have been denied by the POWs who are named, and one of which has been confirmed as true by the source, although he was not named in the email.
First, the "100 Women of the Century" was a project of the Ladies Home Journal and a TV special hosted by Barbara Walters. Jane Fonda was one of the 100.
How the email story about the POWs got started is not known, but it has been widely circulated.
TruthOrFiction.com located Jerry Driscoll who said that the accounts about him in the email are "...the product of a very vivid imagination" and he requests that people please stop passing it on to others.
TruthOrFiction.com also contacted Mike McGrath, President of NAM-POWs, who says the Larry Carrigan events never happened either.
He says Carrigan calls the story a "hoax" and does not want to be associated with it.
McGrath also says that some versions of the email include an account from a Dave Hoffman and that his story is true.
Hoffman says he was tortured (hung by a broken arm) until he agreed to go before Jane Fonda.
He was among a small group who witnessed one of her radio broadcasts for Hanoi.
The part of the email that begins with "To Whom it may concern" is true. It's a quote from an article titled SHAME ON JANE originally published on the Advocacy And Intelligence Index website on April 28, 1999 and written by Michael Benge who was a civilian captured by the North Vietnamese in 1968.
|In his statement, he also makes reference to a missionary nurse who died in captivity.
For your interest, that was Betty Olsen, a Christian Missionary Alliance nurse from New York.
In 1988 in an interview with Barbara Walters on 20/20, Jane Fonda talked about her Vietnam visit and issued what some feel was an apology but which her critics say was not enough.
Fonda said, "I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of the things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm...very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families."
In 2005, Fonda published her autobiography in which she described in detail her decision to go to North Vietnam.
She said it was primarily motivated by her desire to document the U.S. bombing of important dikes that, if destroyed, could kill tens of thousands of people and devastate the lives of millions.
The U.S. had denied the bombings.
In the book, Fonda is unapologetic about the trip or her participation in broadcasts on radio Hanoi but regrets the pictures taken of her at the gun emplacement.
She said it made it appear as though she was celebrating armaments aimed at American planes, which was not how she felt and was not the context in which the pictures were taken.
She reminds readers that the U.S. investigated her trip and found no reason to bring any charges against her.
She describes her longstanding support of, and interaction with, U.S. military personnel and says her only beef was with the U.S. government, not the troops.
Last updated 4/02/05
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/hanoijane.htm
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Here is a little more conserative point of view called Far From Glory. While in Vietnam, Jane Fonda thought she might be able to appeal directly to the American men dropping the bombs, she made a series of ten broadcasts over Radio Hanoi, urging American soldiers to renounce the war. On one, she said, "Tonight when you are alone, ask yourselves: What are you? Accept no ready answers fed to you by rote from basic training... I know that if you saw and if you knew the Vietnamese under peaceful conditions, you would hate the men who are sending you on bombing missions... Have you any idea what your bombs are doing when you pull the levers and push the buttons?" On another broadcast, she accused President Nixon of "betraying everything the American people have at heart, betraying the long tradition of freedom and democracy."
Jane's visit to Hanoi, and especially her broadcasts, outraged supporters of the war, who labeled her "Hanoi Jane" and demanded that she be indicted for treason. The rage that Jane's action elicited in many people cannot be overstated; they saw her as a "pinko slut" who appeared nude in movies, smoked pot, smuggled drugs, used profanity publicly and now, worst of all, was aiding and abetting the enemy during wartime. Several members of the United States Congress called for her prosecution as a traitor.
At a tumultuous, hastily called press conference in Paris immediately upon her return from North Vietnam, Jane defended herself against all charges. "What is a traitor?" she asked angrily. "I cried every day I was in Vietnam. I cried for America. The bombs are falling on Vietnam, but it is an American tragedy... The bombing is all the more awful when you see the little faces, see the women say, 'Thank you, American people, for speaking out against the war.' I believe the people in this country who are speaking out are the real patriots."
To her credit, during a 20/20 television interview sixteen years later in 1988 with Barbara Walters, Jane Fonda acknowledged that her trip had offended many veterans. Jane Fonda offered the following as an apology and conceded that she may have allowed herself to be used in the propaganda war between both sides of the North Vietnam conflict debate.
"I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did," she began. "I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm . . . very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families."
Back to Far from Glory
Friday, May 13, 2005
1969... the Woodstock Generation... Neil Armstrong steps onto the moon... the Vietnam War... Charles Manson... It was a tumultuous year.
Seven men, elite U.S. Fighter Pilots, struggled for survival while prisoners of the North Vietnamese. They were shot down while flying over the infamous Red River Valley, a war zone so hot, so dangerous, that each bombing raid took the lives of unspeakable numbers on both sides.
Against the canons of the Geneva Convention, the men were held not as captured fliers but as war criminals. Jane Fonda even suggested that they be tried for their crimes -- like the German and Japanese soldiers of World War II. (See a transcript of one of her Radio Hanoi broadcasts) Those who survived, came home unheralded and unwanted.
Tonight the men will reunite. It is the height of the Reagan era, years since the war changed their lives. The reunion is filled with intense emotions: wrought with laughter, love and tears. They begin to unravel the mysterious betrayal by one of their own, in the notorious prison camp called the Zoo. Ultimately, they strip away the veneer of their current lives, and come to grips with their experiences and the horrors of war.
"Far From Glory" is based on Paul Gillette's Pulitzer Prize Nominated play Red River Rats, which premiered in Los Angeles in 1994.
Click here for their story...
There's a lot more about the Vietnam War inside. Far from Glory
Oh yes, the book I was trying to remember Chained Eagle ,it was Everett Aleverez, not Edward. Sorry.
Bookmarks